Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Art for a Good Cause: C Magazine Fundraiser March 23


When I first came to Toronto in 2004, the folks at C Magazine were nice enough to give me an opportunity to try my hand at ad sales (at which I sucked, but by which I became extremely educated about how awesome and golden good ad sales people are) and magazine proofreading (at which I did a bit better, but which somehow doesn't seem as awesome). I also got to write some articles for C that I really enjoyed, like interviews with Noam Gonick, Ken Lum and Jerry Saltz, and reviews of interesting shows like the ICP's White.

Though I don't do much workwise with C anymore (unfortunately, they ain't the snappiest on the payment side—last time I checked in, 12 months post-publication was the cheque-receiving rule; hopefully it's improved?) I'm grateful for the opportunities they provide to developing writers and artists, as well as overlooked perspectives. I also think the somewhat recent redesign is pretty classy, and I'm encouraged to see the board undertaking more educational initiatives, like cschool, which I look forward to hearing more about. It seems like they're on an upward track. (Funny how that upward swing coincided with my total lack of involvement... hmmmm.... I think we're on to something here.)

It's all to say that it's worth taking note of C's upcoming fundraiser, a benefit auction taking place Tuesday, March 23 at Red Bull 381 Projects in Toronto. Works by Eve K. Tremblay, Maura Doyle, Kelly Jazvac, Charmaine Wheatley, Onya Hogan-Finlay, Melanie Authier and other interesting artists do make this one tempting. The online preview is up now, and a public preview happens March 20 from 1-4pm, if you're interested in seeing more so than buying.

More information on tickets ($40/$50) and other good stuff can be found at http://www.cmagazine.com/.

4 comments:

Stephanie Vegh said...

last time I checked in, 12 months post-publication was the cheque-receiving rule; hopefully it's improved?

No, it hasn't. Which is a right shame, because otherwise they can be a right pleasure to write for. Still...

Leah Sandals said...

Hey Stephanie,

Dude! That's harsh to hear.
Dang.

Gabby said...

I think they're trying to improve payment times desperately, but it took 18 months for me to get a cheque for a feature I wrote in 2008. Review payments seem more timely, though (4 months).

Leah Sandals said...

Hey Gabby,

Thanks for the clarification.
I guess it's all to say that
a fundraiser is dearly needed!