Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spacing Out for Five Whole Years


I haven't been with Spacing magazine since its beginning, so I can't truthfully say I've been spacing out for five whole years. (Well, some might beg to differ on other evidence, but...) Still, I'm glad to have been involved with this upstart Toronto mag, both previously as an editor and now as a writer. After all, this little shoestring publication has focused a lot of attention on public space and public politics in our city over the years. So I know I'll be at this week's big 0-5 birthday bash. I hope you will be too. Here's the details:

WHEN: Wed. December 10th, 7pm-1am
WHERE: The Great Hall, 1087 Queen Street West at Dovercourt
HOW MUCH: $5 for subscribers or $10 (includes mag)
RSVP: please note that, in accordance with the Spacing liquor license, you need to RSVP to this event. You may do so via the Facebook event listing, or (if you don’t have a Facebook profile) by email to rsvp@spacing.ca.

The party promises large panels displaying the finalists from the thinkTORONTO urban design ideas competition (in the issue, I profile a couple of innovative students who propose turning transit shelters into book exchanges); Rannie Turingan manning a photo portrait station; Rose Bianchini filming " five things you like about Toronto"; saxophonist and former Shuffle Demon Richard Underhill performing solo; and the DJ trio Track Meet.

2 comments:

tinku said...

Hi Leah,

I am planning to be there as well, will look out for you. Great accomplishment for any magazine, let alone an indie magazine. Congrats on being a part of it.

--Amrita

Leah Sandals said...

Thanks Amrita! See you there.