Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Overheard: Akau exhibition space to close


A Toronto gallery-goer emailed me recently to let me know that Akau, a Queen West framing shop and gallery, is closing its exhibition space--apparently the Yvonne Singer show, which I recommended recently, was its last. Sad to hear. Though I didn't always love the shows, there were some, like Singer's, that really struck a chord with me, and the space seemed to be a locale of experimentation for a lot of artists. According to those at the shop, there's just not enough time to continue organizing a curated program of shows; fingers crossed, though, that the owner will keep showing works from her fine personal collection.

This closure would seem to further accentuate the exodus of galleries from Queen West, discussed recently here and elsewhere.

Image from Boston.com

No comments: