Thursday, August 7, 2008

Quick Hits: The Left Bank Meets Cowtown, while Trade Shows Meet Marx



These weeks of August are supposed to be the dead days of the art scene... but I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Not a good thing in many ways (I'm over the whole "it's great and important to be stressed out" thing), and especially not good in that all I can do blogwise this week is post some links to recent print stories.


Anyway here ye be: a Q&A on the young Calgary painting scene with artist/curator Wil Murray in the National Post (Dave & Jenn detail above), and a shotgun review of Michael Lewis's current show at Landymore Keith in NOW. (For the record, I didn't write that deck; as I say in the piece, the contempt I perceived in Lewis's work is at the level of "a bit" not "a lot." Sample image below, not capturing the 8-foot by 8-foot scale in the least.)



No comments: