Friday, February 27, 2009

Upcoming talking n' writing things


Oh, there's such a big difference between talking and writing. For serious. But I'm glad I get to dust out my much unused talking skills (or talking-in-public skills) with a couple of events this week. Please join me if you would like to hear what my shrunken vocal chords think of things like American Gothic and community arts.

Tomorrow at the Reel Artists Film Festival (a production of the Canadian Art Foundation, publisher of Canadian Art mag, where I work p/t), I get to introduce a new doc on David Lynch and a recent one on Basquiat. The Lynch film profiles the setup of an art exhibition by Lynch in Milan, and is directed by Marina Zenovich, nominee for the Sundance Jury Prize for Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired. The Basquiat film revisits a little-known 1987 interview by director Tamra Davis and colleague Becky Johnstone. Both movies kick off at 7pm at the Al Green Theatre, 750 Spadina Ave.

Then on Friday I speak at a panel for the conference "Encounters in the Socialverse: Community and Collaborative Art Practices" at York University. Fellow panellists include Carole Boughannam, City of Toronto Event Programming Manager; Andrew Hunter, Curator, Render Gallery and Darren O’Donnell, Artistic Director of Mammalian Diving Reflex. The panel happens at 3pm at Atkinson College, 4700 Keele, and there are interesting presentations running all day.

Happy gabbing!

Image from Medline Plus

No comments: