Monday, June 8, 2009

But is it Unethical? Further thoughts on the Koffler debacle

Last week, Toronto curator Kim Simon asked in a Facebook status update why none of the media covering the recent Koffler Gallery scandal had bothered to question the ethical aspects of the Koffler receiving public funding.

I responded that I had been thinking about the ethics of this situation, and wanted to do a blog post about it. What follows are the questions and uncertainties that came up for me in considering this situation.

To recap on details from The Star, NOW, Xtra, the artist’s website and other sources: Last year the Koffler—a Jewish cultural centre—contracted curator Kim Simon and artist Reena Katz to develop an art project that would open May 20, 2009. Katz, who is of Jewish descent and has worked on projects about Judaism in the past, developed a project called Each Hand as They Are Called, which was to involve a mah-jong tournament with Jewish elders, installing scaffolding in Kensington Market linked to the artist’s Jewish history and performances of songs by the Barry Sisters, a 50s duo that sang a hybrid of jazz and klezmer. On May 8, the Koffler Centre executive director Lori Starr informed Katz and Simon that the Koffler was disassociating itself from the project due to Katz’s participation in Israeli Apartheid Week and related events. The contracted funding would still go to Katz and Simon, but not the Koffler’s logo, name or endorsements. Later that week, the Jewish elders and a voice coach for the Barry Sisters project pulled out, putting the project in limbo. A number of artists have also dropped their contracts to do further work with the Koffler. The dispute is now being handled by lawyers for both parties.

My initial reaction, posted on this blog May 11, was that the Koffler had been quite stupid and unprofessional in its decisions and actions around this whole affair. For over a year the Koffler has been trying to rebrand itself as being more “open” and “downtown” in its attitude, and the kind of toe-the-line rigidity this course of events reflects is well at odds with more flexible and liberal artworld attitudes.

So…. Dumb. But unethical? I wasn’t sure. And I’m still not, which is partly why I’m posting on this—feedback from others would be much appreciated.

Here’s why I still feel the ethical part of this situation is cloudy: Basically, when I think about how most galleries program artists and exhibitions—well, it may just be my cynicism talking, but I think most galleries do program artists who fit with their own political, aesthetic and cultural tastes.

In other words, I’d expect, say, the Japan Foundation to program artists who are of Japanese descent, or who make work about Japan. I wouldn’t expect them to program an artist who had extremely critical views of Japan or who isn’t connected to Japan in any way—and I wouldn’t expect that because artists of this type would be weeded out in the very very early stages of the curatorial process.

Similarly, and perhaps a bit closer to home, I wouldn’t expect La Centrale, a woman-focused gallery in Montreal, to program a male artist. Heck, I would also be very surprised if they curated in a woman artist who happened to be strongly pro-life or homophobic. That kind of value disparity is again the kind of thing that gets weeded out way ahead of time at the very early stages of the curatorial process—those matters of poor fit or alignment.

Even in the contemporary art world in general, I’d posit that views in general on politics are quite liberal, ambivalent and flexible. So it would be quite surprising if any contemporary museum curated an artist who did have a black and white, hardline or conservative view of politics. Again, it’s as if those types of personalities get self-selected (or perhaps just selected) out of the contemporary art world; their values just doesn’t fit with those types of institutions.

At the Koffler, now, we see basically the opposite values dynamic. It’s clear from this episode that the Koffler wants artists who reject political ambivalence and flexibility, who are willing to be hardline when it comes to Israel—or at least artists who do not express any potential difficulties with Israel, period, in their work or public life.

That’s why I labeled the Koffler’s actions dumb rather than unethical. If your programming has to be in line with certain politics and values, you flag any major conflicts (whether consciously or subconsciously) at the very beginning of the process rather than at the end. Since the public funds the Koffler was to disburse were still disbursed to the artists, there is less of a case that can be made there about ethics as well.

Does this mean in future that public funding will be withheld from the Koffler? Well, it’s hard to tell, because as a friend pointed out to me there aren’t many mechanisms for listing “all the wrong stuff we did with the grant monies you gave us” on a funding application. And further, as noted above, culturally-focused galleries do often have an inherently exclusive programming slant in the first case.

Of course, I’m puzzled by my own inability in this case to make a clear ethical judgment. If anyone else would like to express their views on the case, pose their own questions, or clarify my fuzzy thinking, I’d much appreciate it.

7 comments:

Marissa Neave said...

The problem is that the Koffler Centre has disassociated itself with a Jewish artist who is (rightly) critical of Israel's occupation of Palestine. That doesn't make Katz less Jewish, or less empathetic to the historical plight and persecution of Jews.

Israel is a self-proclaimed secular state who has systemically enacted (and maintains) a genocide upon Palestinians. The Koffler Centre doesn't exist to proliferate Israel's propaganda to the contrary; it is not representative of the state of Israel. In fact, the Koffler mission statement barely addresses that they are even a Jewish organization.

I don't know if it's unethical to have axed Katz's project, but it's certainly tasteless and indicative of the scope and depth of Israel's PR machine that frequently bullies dissenters into silence.

Leah Sandals said...

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for your comment.

To be clear, I myself am critical of Israel's actions towards Palestinians in my own political views.

But if the Koffler is a self-consciously pro-Israel organization, they should, as you suggest, state this in their own mission statement, perhaps make it explicit. It would, one thinks, be unethical to apply for public funds under false pretenses of who one wishes to distribute said funds to. Perhaps that's the key?

I agree with you on the tastelessness of the Koffler's actions. My own values would fall on the side of (a) carrying through with one's professional contracts and (b) using this as an opportunity to have dialogues about diverse views on Israel and, perhaps, faith in general.

Marissa Neave said...

Hi Leah, now that I've given this some more thought in the context of your post and comment, I'm going to say that the Koffler Centre's decision to cancel Katz's project for the reasons they did IS unethical. It's discrimination, plain and simple.

What I was trying to flesh out before is that by canceling Katz's project, the Koffler Centre -- a Jewish organization -- attempts to delegitimize Katz as a Jew, as if her views on Israel make her a bad Jew, or less of a Jew, or less attuned to her faith.

I also agree with your practical concerns about professional contracts. I think in many situations, terminating a contract for personal differences would be considered morally wrong, and is especially in this case in light of the reasons.

While it's very sad that the Koffler Centre exists and functions within this discriminatory and narrow-minded framework, I am somewhat relieved that something as revealing as this occurred.

Leah Sandals said...

Thanks again Marissa...

Maybe you could elaborate for me how this is more unethical in your view than, say, the general kind of "like curating like" patterning that I described in the article.

I certainly disagree with anyone telling anyone else they're not a "good enough person" in whatever shape that might take.

But... how is this different from the other examples I described? That's what I'm wondering.

Would one be able to take this to a human rights commission, for example? Or is it simply breach of contract as well as a really bad move image wise?

L.M. said...

Marissa made some excellent points that didn't occur to me. So, for your puposes, the institution's non-disclosure of a requirement that exhibiting artists cannot hold opinions critical to Israel would be a breach of ethics.

I know one artist who pulled his work out of Kofflers Wrecking Ball fundraiser stating that: "I morally feel I have to declare my stance: that I too have since a long time, questioned Israel's actions in Palestine (in fact, it was through Israel artists' work that critiqued its owngovernment's doings. It was a powerful show presented in Berlin, in 2003) I believe this disclosure automatically nullifies me from participating in the Wrecking Ball project."

Marissa Neave said...

Well with your examples about a women's gallery and a japanese foundation, I think what I wrote before still applies. The Koffler Centre is not an Israeli organization. They are a Jewish organization. The conflation of the two (Israel/Jewish) is exactly what problematizes the term 'anti-semitic'; that somehow being anti-Israel is also being anti-Jewish. And that is a very, very dangerous conflation indeed.

So based on cultural/racial/gender preferences enacted by organizations (which I don't think is entirely problematic since, in a city like Toronto, there is, I would venture to assume, somewhere for everyone), in the example of the Koffler Centre, Katz -- as a person of Jewish faith -- should be welcomed by the organization if they are interested in her work, which they obviously are. Her views on Israel are completely irrespective of her faith and therefore, irrelevant to Koffler's preferences.

I don't think it's necessarily a human rights issue. That's a philosophical angle I don't think I'm equipped to comment on. An interesting project is in limbo, and that's really unfortunate.

I am also glad that, as you said before, this topic has raised some good conversation about the complexities of this situation.

Jewish Writer said...

Hi there Leah Sandals,

I posted a comment here a while back and see that you have refused to post it. I guess the views expressed did not conform to your own and your other groupthink so-called artist friends. Another victory for free speech!
After reading your blog I can understand why. Your views are pallid and conformist. You posture in favour of free self-expression but when faced with a tinge of real raw emotion you want it banned and suppressed. You will never be an interesting artist or even an interesting critic because you seem to think that art should be the product of some bland tame consensus, no more meaningful than interior design.
I have news for you. Great art is not "nice." No great artist had no enemies. Think about that as you chat away in nice agreement about everything with your nice friends (like how evil big bad Israel is, while in Iran they stone women like you to death every day.) It's people like you that suck the life and vigour out of the arts and the reason Toronto will always be a cultural backwater.
While real artists struggle to be heard you promote only those that agree with your narrow-minded soft-left Ontario views, the same ones your profs taught. What a precious little tea party for prim little girls this scene is!

Viva true free speech!

Jewish Writer