Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oldie but a Goodie: Believing is Seeing


Something totally non-newsworthy but still well worth noting: Believing is Seeing: Creating the Culture of Art, published way back in 1995, remains an impressive read. I've heard and read lots of explanations of the importance of Andy Warhol's work, but CUNY prof Mary Anne Staniszewski really nails it in just a few paragraphs. I also really appreciate the abundance of visuals, so important when making points about art to a wide audience. And I know she wrote this as a text for her intro art history course, so it's meant to be simple language, but I really really appreciate it. It's so rare to find something written simply on art. Art history without all the high-falutinness--or deadly footnotes. If you haven't yet read it (as I hadn't till just a few days ago) please do.

No comments: