Monday, April 7, 2008

Review: Black Creek United


Also on February 14, NOW Toronto published my review of Black Creek United, an exhibition of a community arts project coordinated by the Art Gallery of York University. And here is Philip Monk's response to my review the following week (just scroll down a few letters). 

While I appreciate of Monk's rebuttal, my review has not changed. While I think this program is valuable and should be continued, I was very disappointed in the presentation and production values of it. From what I've seen at their main gallery, the AGYU obviously knows how to mount a professional looking show, and how to devote considerable financial and installation resources to it. Given this past success, it's clear to me that in this instance they failed (the project participants, as well as viewers) rather sorely. 

No comments: